Skip to main content

PRODUCT REVIEW- SHEA MOISTURE RAW SHEA BUTTER DEEP TREATMENT MASQUE

Hi guys,
In June I attended the NITC8 meet up and I finally got my hands on the Shea moisture deep treatment masque from Olori. I was super excited because I have heard great things about  the Shea Moisture line of products  and I was eager to try this one out. Here is my honest review:

Meet the product:
   

 
 
 
 

Product claims:
 Our all natural intensive treatment masque deeply moisturises and repairs dry, damaged and over-processed hair. Perfect for transitioning chemically treated hair to natural.

  
Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Argan Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B‐5), Essential Oil Blend, Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Soybean Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil.
*Certified Organic Ingredient
 
Directions:
Section clean wet hair. Apply generously. Use a wide tooth comb to distribute evenly from roots to ends. Leave for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. For deep penetrating treatment, cover hair with a plastic cap and apply moderate heat for up to 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. when using a hair steamer do not cover hair, moist heat will add to masque's hydration. For additional moisture , Extra virgin olive oil may be added to the masque.
 

How I used product:
I used it on freshly shampooed hair, on dry hair and on damp hair that had been spritzed with water and glycerine.
 
 Here's my verdict:
 
The good:
  • No sulfates. No parabens. No phthalates. No paraffin. No gluten. No propylene glycol. No mineral oil. No synthetic fragrance. No PABA. No synthetic color. No DEA. No animal testing.
  • It has a pleasant scent.
  • It is a decent leave-in conditioner.
The bad:
 It does NOT moisturise my hair AT ALL. After applying it to freshly shampooed hair I covered with a plastic cap and I left it on for about an hour since I do not have a steamer.  I rinsed thoroughly only to have my previously soft hair become dry and stringy. My hair felt like straw. I tried it again and again and it was still the same result. Dry stringy hair. I should have known though, because the red flags where all up in the directions for use.  The makers of the masque suggested we add extra virgin olive oil for additional nutrients and moisture. That sentence alone was a sign. I mean why do I need to add anything to a product that claims to deeply moisturise and heal dry damaged hair?

The Ugly:
Apart from drying out my hair it made my hair tangled too. I cannot understand how it manages to do that. I always detangle before I shampoo but after applying this product my hair is a dry tangled mess.
 
 
DarkChild rating : 3/10

 As a moisturising deep conditioner this product was a huge disappointment. For a product that expensive (N3200) it doesn't do to my hair what it claims. But its not all bad news though. As I was contemplating what to do with the heartbreaker of a product I remembered watching a Youtube video where this product was used as a leave-in so I decided to try that. I added it to dry hair and it was a pretty decent leave-in. My hair felt soft for about 3 days. So rather than toss it, I now use it as a leave-in once in a while.
 I  will not repurchase it as either a deep conditioner or a leave-in. Its way too expensive and double bleh for that.
 
Thanks for stopping by :-)
 
KimB
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Nice review. I had a bad first experience with this too. I may give it another shot with olive oil and see how it goes.

    Don't Touch The Hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Check it out here.
      Versatile Blogger Award

      Don't Touch The Hair

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for your comment and the award. Let us know how the olive oil experience goes ;)

      Delete
  2. And I was going to comment on how rich the product seems from the content list till I read the bad and ugly
    Pele

    www.cassiedaves.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww. Poor product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am not a fan of Shea moisture,have this and their conditioner but... Looking to try Carol s daughter heard some good reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really sad because I expected so much more from the Shea moisture line.

      Delete
  5. Try cantu deep conditioner masque it did wonders for my hair,my favourite so far

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have to mix this with oils for it do do anything for 4c hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I have thrown the product away. It was taking up space on my shelf.

      Delete
  7. This product doesn't do much for my hair either, at least I can't remember it doing anything for me. It has been sitting on my shelf for a long while. However, the restorative conditioner - I cannot do without it, especially if I'm trying to help my hair recover from blow dryer/ flat iron straightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen. I'll add the restorative conditioner to my wish list. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PRODUCT REVIEW // ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER

Hi guys,                                                                                                                                                      I'm here with another review. This time its the ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER. Do not let the name fool you, it's actually a deep conditioner and not a wash out conditioner. Here's my honest review: Meet the product:     Product claims:   Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner helps to restore moisture & repair  damaged hair. Ingredients: Water, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Glycerin, Polyquaternium 37, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Quaternium 80, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citral , D Limonene, Linalool, , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, PEG 9 Dimethicone, Anthemis Nobilis Extract (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis Extract (Sage), Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle), Rosmarinus Officinal

DIY// HOW TO MAKE AN APPLICATOR BOTTLE

Hi guys,      I hope you are all doing well. I have missed blogging so much and I feel really good that I can now so it more often since my schedule is getting a bit less crowded. I also hope you like the new blog design.     If you live in Nigeria then you are aware that things are getting out of hand financially. The recession is hitting really hard and it seems no one is immune. Inspite of this I do not want my Fro to suffer so I am working on making a lot of homemade products and utensils to ensure my hair doesn't feel the strain of the harsh economy.    Today I will be showing you how to make an APPLICATOR bottle from any old plastic bottle you have at home. Why bother you ask? Read my post about different ways to use an  Applicator bottle .       Let's get right into it. Here's what you'll need: Small plastic bottle with cover A candle/lighter/gas A match stick Scissors METHOD 1. Remove the bottle cover from the bottle. Using the scissors hold t

How to create a a sleek faux bun with short natural hair!!!!

Hi people!    So its been a while since my last post and I apologize. I have been all kinds of busy but I have got something really cool for you all today. I haven't really done any hairstyle posts on this blog  because in my bid to retain length I just cornrow and throw on a wig. I have been doing that for months with the random Afro-puff thrown in once in awhile but this week I just wasn't  in the mood for any of my wigs. I decided to finally do something I have been dying to do: a faux bun!! Its super easy just follow the steps below and you'll be rocking your faux bun in a couple of minutes :-)                                                                                                Preparing my hair I stretched my hair with my cornrows first. I took out the braids then moisturised and sealed: My stretched hair  I sectioned my hair into 2 parts. I started from the front section. I added some Ecostyler gel, brushed it lightly with a toothbrush and pulled